The Blog that's not always wrong.

Thursday, 6 March 2008

On fans, supporters and followers.

Ive followed Spurs since childhood.When my mother remarried after the War(no not the great war the second world war) I had a decision to make,my mother's family were all Arsenal fans and for a couple of years after my 7th birthday I went with my mum's brother Ted to the Gunners.But my stepfather's family were all Tottenham fans and it became increasingly clear that regular visits to top class football would require a slight shift in allegiance.So I made the switch and have never regretted it.
Perhaps thats why I find the visceral hatred of Arsenal so uncomfortable when I encounter it, mainly it must be said on websites rather than in real life.We all come across Arsenal fans and basically they are just like us,they just support the wrong team usually by some accident of geography or family.
I lived as a boy in North London at the Archway,close to suicide bridge at the start of the Great North Rd.It was slightly closer to the Arsenal but there was a pretty even split amongst my mates between the two sides and Arsenal vTottenham was the only game we ever played.My switch at about 9yrs.was only a temporary embarrassment.
When after school I moved up North and had the money to follow Spurs I didn't have the time, and now Ive the time I dont have the money.(I'll give an address later for donations to the poor old blokes supporters fund)So I put myself down as a fan of Spurs,a follower of Spurs but only in a limited sense a supporter.The real supporters and the true fans are those that regularly watch Spurs in the flesh and I always bow to their right to be the most opinionated and the most avid.
Not that they are always correct but they have earned the right to be wrong and have to be listened to.
And they are wrong sometimes: they were wrong about Carrick;they were wrong about Berbatov for a time and they are wrong about Jenas,although they seem to be coming round at last.They are probably wrong about Zokora and maybe Bent although the jury is on them and maybe Boateng.
But I love Tottenham:its tradition and history:its style and panache;its commitment to individual skill and team attack:I love it.
I believe that the club let itself down over the handling of the Jol situation,an honourable man dishonourably treated,but whilst not trying to defend his treatment firmly believe the Ramos is a man in tune with the spirit of Tottenham.I dont really buy into the Ramos myth but if other teams believe it all well and good.

No comments:

Post a Comment