The Blog that's not always wrong.

Friday, 11 December 2009

Wolves preview.

Well, now its official: 'Spurs lack mental strength'. Despite my brilliantly argued and eloquent paper on the alternatives to the 'mental weakness' theory,( See previous blog) Mark Lawrenson has decided to abandon reason and go straight to bald assertion. In his Tottenham v Wolves preview he deals a mortal blow to my ideas by his pronouncement that we do, in fact, 'lack mental strength'.Fact.

So there you have it. Any waverers out there who were almost convinced by my arguments can stop worrying about it and relax. Clearly I was wrong, and any of you that subscribe to the 'mental' theory can bask in the knowledge that you are on-side with Mr. Lawrenson and that you correctly identified the root cause as to why we are only in fourth pace with long term injuries to three of our senior players and are having our best and most promising season for years. We lack mental strength and if we had it we might be, er, third.

However both he and Mr.Hanson predict a win for us on Saturday and there I think we can say that this is not controversial and I agree with them. You don't get to be a well paid pundit by sticking your neck out.

Spurs are 4th; Wolves are 18th. We have 27 pts from 15 games. Wolves have 13
Our goal difference is +14; Wolves is -14. We are strong at home, Wolves are poor away. A cast iron, nailed on, copper bottomed win then. But by how many shall we say? We are bound to concede one but we should score three or four. So let's make that a 4-1 home victory.

But 'Wait!' I hear you cry, ' What about the mental weakness factor?' Ah I forgot, sorry Mr. Lawrenson. Difficult one that. Nope, I spit in the face of 'mental weakness'; I expectorate in the countenance of the pundits; I......well I think you get the general drift.

Spurs to win then 5-1. Modric might get half an hour. Dos Santos might get 10 mins. And if Pavlyuchenko is sold Dos Santos could save us £10 million or more on a replacement striker.

Keane will probably start with Defoe; Captain Dawson and Bassong at the back with Lennon, Jenas, Huddlestone and Kranjcar across the middle. I assume that even 'Iron Man' Wilson will not have recovered yet. Three points and we go above Arsenal who might well get beaten at Liverpool, although a draw would suit us better. That draws a line under Everton and puts a smile back on all our faces.

So don't let me down now lads, I've gone out on a limb for you again. Don't saw the bloody branch off between me and the trunk. Stick your 'mental weakness' up Wolverhampton Wanderers and the pundits.

9 comments:

TMWNN said...

About time.

With the possibility of a Huddlestone/Jenas axis of averageness, I wouldn't expect too much of a goal rush.

I'd love to see little Gio be a big hit at the Lane, but, although a talented player, we need a player who can give us the option of playing 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1. None of our current strikers can play that role effectively. They're either too small, unable to hold the ball up or lack finishing ability. We need one who is big, can hold the ball up and also finish. Hard to come by and expensive? Probably.

JimmyG2 said...

We had one called Darren Bent but we didn't like him even though he scored goals.
You are very 'sizeist'. He can be as perpendicularly disadvantaged as he likes as long as he scores goals
'Spurs win league with the smallest players in the History of the Premiership' is the headline I'm looking forward to.
We will see my friend. I think you got it spectactularly wrong last time.

TMWNN said...

5 out of 5, at least I was consistent.

You know as well as me that Bent was a one trick pony.

elwehbi@ibleedhotspur said...

Honestly, I got really excited when I read the Dos Santos part. Not to belittle the Modric part of course, however, I was expecting and anticipating Modric's return day-in-day-out. For some reason I tend to forget about little Gio. Dos Santos has proven that he is capable of playing on the international front, and he definitely showed us signs of his capabilities right before his injury. I'm salivating!

COYS!

JimmyG2 said...

elwehbi
Keep salivating and then you too can spit in the face of whichever pundit you like, or don't like.
Gio is listed as a striker but has played on both wings for Mexico. Just the sort of versatile player that managers love.

elwehbi@ibleedhotspur said...

I shall spit JimmyG2! I shall!

3 points! COYS!!!!!!!!

who framed ruel fox? said...

Jiminy Christmas.

Nice preview. But Lawrenson can stick his mental weakness up is feckin' arse until his moustache falls off.

Or has it alreay gone?

3-1 Sshhpurs.

JimmyG2 said...

Don't blame the messenger love.
I got their score right at least.
Sorry.

who framed ruel fox? said...

No apologies needed, Jim. We all have the stench of egg mayoniase on our faces tonight.

We got served.

Post a Comment